To-Do List for ALL
It’s a lot to do, and it’s always changing. But once you start, life gets a lot easier to do.
- affirm each other for being your core selves, and not just a token in a majority social group i.e. The Smart One, The Bitch, The Mom, etc. OR racial group i.e. The Quiet Asian Girl, The Loud Black Girl, The FOREIGN Girl, The DIFFERENT One, The Ethnically Ambiguous One, etc.
»Why? because majorities won’t do it for you
- love & respect yourself openly and BE HEARD
»Why? because mass media will not do it for you or others like you
- love & respect yourself ESPECIALLY when no one dares to listen
»Why? because your inner self needs to be on the same page as your outer self
- consume consciously and question ESPECIALLY if something is popular
»Why? because maybe it is at the sacrifice of YOUR OWN IDENTITIES or fellow silenced narratives. it is most certainly a blind following of innocent, but ignorant consumers
- don’t sweat the big things
»Why? because you can’t change everything
- don’t sweat the little things
»Why? because you will be too busy changing everything
- revel in the contradictions
»Why? because you will NEVER fit into ANY clear-cut binary of race, gender, economic, or social standing—these groupings were most likely not made by people who have directly experienced your struggle anyway, so why partake in them when you have the power to create your own name?
- check your privilege in knowing and living. not everyone has the tools of language, social mobility, love/support, $, physicality, etc. to live the way you do and have.
»Why? because all people are worthy of their opinions, and no matter how angry you are, their lives will mean as much as yours.
»Why? because when you put someone down for their differences, you only propagate what the theoretical/historical/institutional Power has supposedly done to you.
- appreciate everything. where you come from, where you’re going, who you love, who you hate, etc.
»Why? because once you get full of yourself, people will no longer appreciate YOU and your voice will become invalid and untrustworthy by your own fault (in contrast to historical/social oppression that may have silenced you in the beginning)
- don’t be afraid to lose sight of what’s important. despite what other people may say and despite what leaders and believers of change in history may have done before you…
»Why? because you’re allowed to live free of burdens; this is not your only job. If you burn out now, what use will that be?
»Why? because often times you will realize that there are things more important than what you started out intending to do.
»Why? because you deserve room to grow without limits.
- Laugh. As much as you can. and strive to fill others’ lives with laughter as well, whether it is by or indirectly from you.
»Why? because good laughter can be warmth and positivity when words aren’t enough.
»Why? because as long as there is reason to laugh, there will always be reason to live.